Our Dedication To Our Community
As contributing members of the community, we have gathered information that may be useful to seniors, elderly and adults in Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Hollywood, Century City, Glendale, Burbank, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Sherman Oaks and Encino.
Los Angeles Hospital Information
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
Event: Beyond Alzheimer’s
- Date: THURSDAYS, BEGINNING APRIL 5 (except holidays)
6:30 PM to 7:30 PM
- Description: Beyond Alzheimer’s is a weekly support group for caregivers and loved ones of
someone with Alzheimer’s disease or other forms of dementia. The group is co-facilitated by Patti Davis, the daughter of former president Ronald Reagan and Nancy Reagan, and by Xavier Cagigas, PhD
- Location: UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica
Board Room G210 (Ground Floor North Wing)
1250 16th Street Santa Monica, CA
- Contact: Katherine Serrano (310) 825-8253
Event: Westside Walkers: Free Mall Walking program
- Date: Tuesdays and Thursdays , 8:00 to 10:00 am
- Description: Sign in at Macy’s storefront on level 2.5, Westside Pavilion on Pico Blvd, between Overland Ave. and Westwood Blvd., West Los Angeles. No Registration is required for this event
- Location: Macy’s Storefront at Westside Pavilion on Pico Blvd, between Overland Ave.
and Westwood Blvd., West Los Angeles.
- Contact: (800) 516-5323
Event: Mother-Infant Support Group
- Date: Thursdays (excluding holidays) Noon to 1 pm
- Description: Join our FREE support group for new moms who delivered at The BirthPlace or Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. Hosted by a lactation consultant, the gatherings will provide a forum for new moms to network, share insights and discuss breastfeeding and other parenting topics. Please note that this is NOT a breastfeeding-technique clinic. Referrals available for specific needs.
- Location: 2 Merle Norman Pavilion
- Contact: To register for all classes, call The BirthPlace Office at (424) 259-8250. Our BirthPlace staff also can provide referrals to other prenatal, parenting or pregnancy exercise classes offered in the community. Prices may change. Please confirm cost with The BirthPlace Office.
Keck Hospital of USC
Event: Bladder Cancer Support Group
- August 25, 2012 | 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM
- This group is for male and female patients and their families, who are either pre or post-treatment of bladder cancer. Meetings will feature a speaker on a relevant topic, or will be devoted to open discussion during which members can share information and feelings related to diagnosis and treatment. Meets the 4th Tuesday of every month from 6 – 7:30 p.m. Please contact Dorathy Rocha at (323) 865-3156 for more information. Free support group.
- Lobby Conference Room – USC Norris Cancer Hospital
Description: The Brain Aneurysm Educational Support Group is open to people who have been diagnosed or have undergone treatment for an aneursym. The group meets quarterly on the last Wednesday of the month from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm.
Event: Brain Tumor Educational Support Group
- Description: Our Brain Tumor Educational Support Group is for patients, family members and caregivers to share their experiences, get answers to questions and learn more about treatment options. The group meets quarterly on the last Wednesday of the month from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm.
- Location and Parking: Unless otherwise noted, support groups will be held at:
- Cedars-Sinai Department of Neurosurgery8631 West Third Street (East Medical Tower), Suite 800
8th Floor Conference Room (across the hall from Suite 800)
Los Angeles, CA 90048
- Phone: (310) 423-7900
- It is not necessary to RSVP, however, it would be appreciated if you could let us know if you are attending the week before the meeting. Light refreshments will be served. For more information and to e-mail your RSVP, please contact:E-mail: Department of Neurosurgery (firstname.lastname@example.org) Phone: (310) 423-7900
Event: Parkinson’s Disease Support Group
- Time: First Thursday of Every Month 2 pm – 3:30 pm
- Location: Thalians Mental Health Center- 2nd Floor Cafeteria8730 Alden Dr.Los Angeles, CA 90048
- Contact: Linda O’Connor (310) 423-7933
Event: Cedars-Sinai’s Sarcoma Support Group
- Description: Cedars-Sinai’s Sarcoma Support Group meets the third Wednesday of each month from 12 to 1:30 p.m. Refreshments will be served. Join other patients with sarcoma. Learn and share your experiences – peer to peer.
Event: Transplant Support Group
- Description: The Transplant Support Group meets every Wednesday from 1 to 2:30 p.m. It is open to all organ transplant recipients, candidates, family members and friends, including liver, kidney, pancreas, lung and heart transplants candidates. The meeting has a casual educational format with question-and-answer sessions and discussion. The group meets in Room 6159, on the sixth floor of the North Tower of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Parking is validated for Cedars-Sinai parking lots 1 and 2, and refreshments are served.
- For more information, contact: John Pappas (310) 423-6850
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- The Community Outreach Center is pleased to offer several classes and events to the community, FREE of charge.
Event: Diabetes Program (Free Weekly Class Sessions)
- The Diabetes classes give you the information you need to control your blood sugars to reduce and to prevent complications of diabetes. Do you need a meter? We can provide one for you at no cost. We will train you.
- Weekly Classes – 10am
- Tuesdays (English)
- Wednesday (Spanish)
- Topics Covered: Diabetes & Your Body – Glucose Monitoring – High & Low Blood Sugar Symptoms – Diabetic Nutrition – Carbohydrate Counting – Diabetic Health Complications
For more information please call (213) 977-2150
Event: Heart Help Program (Free Weekly Class Sessions)
- If you are overweight, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and/or not physically active, this program is for you.
- Weekly Classes – 10am
- Thursdays (English)
- Friday (Spanish)
- Topics Covered: The Heart and Risk Factors – Healthy Meals for the Heart – Reading food labels – tips for dining out – heart failure management & prevention
For more information please call (213) 977-2150
Event: Cancer Support Group
- The Cancer Support Group meets every Second Saturday of the month from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. in the Cancer Services Center on 637 S. Lucas Avenue, 6th Floor.
- Reservations are required by calling (213) 977-2429 or (213) 977-2121 ext. 2732 (if the outside door is locked).
Event: Chemotherapy 101
- Chemotherapy 101 is an introduction to chemotherapy for patients and their families who are currently on or are about to start the therapy. Everything you need to know about chemotherapy will be discussed including importance of chemotherapy, managing side effects, and health and nutrition while on chemotherapy. The meeting is held from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.in the Cancer Services Center on 637 S. Lucas Avenue, 6th Floor.
- Please RSVP by calling (213) 977-2429
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
Event: High Blood Pressure Support Group
- Description: This program is open to Kaiser Permanente members only.
- Fee(s): Free
- Location: West Los Angeles Medical Center6041 Cadillac Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90034
- Phone Number:(323) 298-3300
Event: Diabetes Support Group
Description: This support group is for anyone with diabetes who needs to talk with others about concerns and problems of the disease. Lectures on various topics of interest will also be presented.
This program is open to the public.
Location: West Los Angeles Medical Center
6041 Cadillac Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90034
- The Look Good…Feel Better program is an appearance counseling seminar for female cancer patients. It was developed in cooperation with the American Cancer Society, and helps people undergoing cancer treatment develop skills to improve their appearance. It also helps to improve the patient’s self-image. Look Good… Feel Better:
- Helps people with cancer to understand that they are in charge of their appearance.
- Increases self-esteem and the overall well-being of patients by helping them during treatment.
- Creates a nationwide resource network for patients. This network consists of cosmetology professionals, health care professionals, and American Cancer Society volunteers.
Event: I Can Cope
- The American Cancer Society I Can Cope program offers select I Can Cope classes each month over the phone, some in multiple languages. I Can Cope telephone classes are facilitated by trained health care professionals who use materials provided by the American Cancer Society. During each telephone class, information relevant to cancer and its treatment is presented to enhance the skills needed for self-care, as well as to promote physical and emotional well-being.
- I Can Cope telephone classes are also interactive, and are designed for patients and caregivers only– patients and caregivers will have an opportunity to share their experiences with others on the call.
- If you know patients and caregivers who could benefit from participating in an I Can Cope telephone class, please share the enclosed information with them and encourage them to call 1-800-ACS-2345 to register.
- Patients and caregivers can also find out about other free programs and services offered by the American Cancer Society and their community through this 24-hour, toll-free number.
- Thank you for collaborating with the American Cancer Society to increase quality of life for your patients and their loved ones, and empowering them to take an active role in managing and coping with their cancer.
Event: Cancer Support Group
- The Wellness Community conducts a free cancer support group weekly at St. Vincent Medical Center.
- For more information on patient support services, call 213-484-5528.
- Description: For women with breast cancer
- Meets: 4th Wednesday of every month, 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
- Place: Tower Surgery Conference Room, 2nd Floor, Doctor’s Tower Bldg.
- 1300 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90027
Event: Spanish Breast Cancer Support Group
- For those newly diagnosed or still in treatment.
- Meets: 2nd Friday of each month, 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm
- Place: Tower Surgery Conference Room, 2nd Floor, Doctors Building
1300 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90027
In Home Care Information for Seniors, Elderly & Adults in Los Angeles
A-1 Home Care is a local nonmedical home health agency with over 20 years of experience providing service in Los Angeles and Orange County. We take pride in selecting qualified, loving caregivers who can meet your loved one’s care needs. Many of our Aides, Companions, Home Health Providers and Personal Attendants have been with us since our start and our team has expanded to include truly exceptional caretakers.
With a single call to our 24 hour phone operators, you can discuss your caregiver requirements, hours needed, skills required and more. We will gladly work with you to create a care schedule that meets your needs. Our care givers provide nurturing care for hourly care, round the clock, short or long term. You can trust our support for your loved one’s health, lifestyle and independence.
Call now: 310-657-8780 to speak with a case manager
- Free in home assessments
- 24 hour phone lines
- Same or next day care
- Safe, licensed and insured drivers
- Frequent follow ups by your case manager
- Daily living assistance
Our agency is A+ rated with the BBB and a member of the National Care Planning Council. We are chamber members in Santa Fe Springs, Newport Beach, Pasadena and Torrance.
- Morning wake up
- Bathing assistance
- Grooming and hygiene help
- Makeup and skin care
- Reminders to take medication
- Healthy, doctor approved meal preparation
- Light exercise
- Incontinence assistance
A-1 Home Care is Licensed, Bonded and Insured and has thousands of recommendations.
- Bed making
- Cleaning surfaces and floors
- Laundry and Drying
- Answering the phone
- Mail and bill organization
- Maintaining home cleanliness
- Taking care of pets
- Shopping for groceries
- Pharmacy pick ups
- Personal errands
Friendship and Companionship
- Take a walk in the park
- Select movies to watch together
- Go shopping
- Plan daytime trips
- Visit the library
- Organize your schedule
- Drive you to club meetings and friends’ homes
- Play cards and games
- Converse about life
A-1 Home Care offers skilled Senior Care, Postpartum Care, Respite and Hospice. Our staff of dedicated caregivers has specialty experience in eldercare. Rest assured that your loved one will be cared for with the same attentiveness and compassion as you have. Contact us today to speak with us about hiring a Home Health Aide.
Call today at Call now: 310-657-8780 to arrange caregiving services